Monday, 1 September 2014

The Lion King Review & 9 Life Lessons It Teaches

Right from the dramatic Zulu opening chant of Nants' Ingonyama followed by the spectacular parade of life-sized animals, including a massive elephant and leaping antelopes, traipsing past my aisle seat to the stage singing Circle of Life, I was mesmerised by The Lion King last weekend at Sydney's Capitol Theatre. It was such a breath-taking and awe-inspiring production, a perfect present from my husband to celebrate my birthday.




As I was sitting there savouring the spectacular puppets and costumes, the makeup, the powerful singing and the rhythmic African percussion I realised the large number of valuable life lessons this production also offers, for children, teenagers and adults. Some of these lessons include: 

1. Be brave but don't be stupid.
Young Simba: "I was just trying to be brave like you"
Mufasa: "Simba, I am only brave when I have to be. Being brave does not mean you go looking for trouble"



2. Know your limitations & there's more to being in charge than just getting your way.
Young Simba: "Everything the light touches ..... But what about that shadowy place?"
Mufasa: "That's beyond our borders. You must never go there, Simba".
Young Simba: "But I thought a king can do whatever he wants".
Mufasa: "There's more to being a king than getting your way all the time".



3. You are never alone. A parent's influence lasts forever.
Mufusa: "Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from the stars. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I"



4. Show respect to everyone.
Mufasa: "You see Simba, everything exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope"
Young Simba: "But Dad, don't we eat the antelope?"
Mufasa: "Yes Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great circle of life" 



5. There is a natural order to the world that you can't change.
There is a natural cycle of birth, death and rebirth. There is a Circle of Life.


6. Learn from your past mistakes and grow from them.
Rafiki: "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But, you can either run from it or learn from it". 
Like Simba, every prodigal son/troubled teen needs to pass certain trials and tests that hurtle them to the bottom before they are allowed to come back up on top.



7. Relax, be happy and accept you can't control everything. 
Timon & Pumbaa: "Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase! Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze! It means no worries for the rest of your days. It's our problem-free philosophy".



8.Accept you responsibilities. 
Mufasa's Ghost: "You have forgotton who you are, and so forgotten me. Look inside yourself Simba, you are more than you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life".

and

Rafiki: "It is time". 



9. Love will triumph over evil.
"Can You Feel The Love Tonight" has to be one of the greatest love songs of all time!


Photo credit for all photos: The Lion King

The Lion King's run in Sydney finished on 31 August 2014. The production now moves to Brisbane's Lyric Theatre, QPAC, in September 2014. It then moves to Melbourne's Regent Theatre in February 2015. I highly recommend seeing this spectacular show and take your kids, including your teenagers. For more information see http://www.lionking.com.au .


Have you seen The Lion King? What did you think about it? 
If you haven't seen it, are you planning on seeing it when it comes to your state?

xx
Ingrid

You can also find me on Instagram: 

16 comments:

  1. I would love to take the kids to this!! Looks fantastic and great birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish The Lion King was still in Sydney so I could take my kids to it.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see that show!
    I love these lessons you have pulled from it. So many great things to teach our kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were even more lessons in the show but I thought my list was getting too long!

      Delete
  3. Nants' Ingonyama! Is that what they chant! I used to just make up my own version. The Lion King has a special place in my heart because it came out when my third son was born and I took my eldest to see it. I think he was only 3 1/2 at the time. We bought the video of course and they all watched it to death. I would love to see the musical. Brilliant review. You are so right, there are so many lessons in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice association you and your sons have with The Lion King. Having watched the video to death they'd love seeing it come to life on stage.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post. I never thought about what The Lion King teaches you. #3 had me in tears. There is such a connection, even when loved ones are gone. Their influence lives on, for sure. I would love to see this production. -Aroha (for #teamIBOT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog Aroha. There is a connection for sure, I like to believe my grandparents are still guiding me from above.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't aware it was moving to Brisbane next. I would love to see it. When we went to Disney on Ice recently they did a small scene from it and Miss Four loved it. I love those lessons you discovered from it. Visiting via #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance, see it with your kids. I had a little girl sitting a few seats away from me and the look on her face was priceless. She was totally transfixed by the show. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous life lessons from a fabulous show. I went last time it was in Melbourne and loved every minute - it is such a vibrant and uplifting show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an uplifting show, everyone walked out at the end with huge smiles on their faces. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  7. I saw this too! It was so good. Unfortunately the Sydney theatre I saw it in had the heat turned up on high and I got a massive headache from being crammed into their sardine seats. Wish I could watch it again though. It was my husband's second time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that doesn't sound good, it's hard to enjoy a show when you've got a headache.

      I visited your blog. I love your recipes.

      Delete
  8. Lovely review, I've wanted to see this forever! Now even more so! I'm in the US, so hoping it'll come to Boston in the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, I've got my fingers crossed for you that the show gets to Boston soon!

      Delete