Monday, 10 November 2014

Sculpture By The Sea

The Bondi Beach to Tamarama Beach coastal walk is breathtakingly stunning at any time of year and is a highly recommended Sydney tourist attraction for all visitors to Sydney and indeed Sydneysiders themselves, even Northern Beaches people like myself! 


Tamarama Beach

Each year from late October to early November this walk becomes even more amazing when it hosts the annual Sculpture By The Sea exhibition. This is a free exhibition in the most spectacular natural setting! No boring, plain white gallery walls here, just dramatic sandstone cliffs, rocky foreshores, sandy beaches and the magnificent deep blue of the Pacific Ocean.

This year was the exhibition's 18th anniversary and the exhibition included 109 exhibiting artists from 16 countries around the world.

I love how many of the art works were designed to fit into the spectacular natural landscape, especially the sandstone cliff formations along the walk. The following such sculpture was my favourite. What a coincidence that it features lipsticks - haha! It's named "Glamarama" in reference to the local nickname for Tamarama Beach and the work draws attention to the beauty of the sandstone cliff. 



"Look who's here..." was another of my favourite artworks highlighting the sandstone cliff face. 

One downside of visiting the exhibition on a gorgeous sunny Sydney afternoon, as well as the last weekend of the exhibition, was the hoardes of people all taking this last opportunity to visit the exhibition.The experienced exhibition organisers however were very clever in their positioning of the art works.

A lot of the sculptures were positioned with the Pacific Ocean as their spectacular backdrop enabling stunning photos of the art works to be taken without getting any of the hoardes in the background.





I liked the sense of humour in some of the artworks, including this one. I imagine some of the locals do get "prickly" at all the hoardes descending on "their" territory! 


At Tamarama there were serveral sculptures on the sand including a giant frypan called "we're fryin' out here" designed to make us stop and think about the damaging effects of the sun and the need to "cook" ourselves on the beach, and this "evidence based research - crossing the line" sculpture with the trees representing victims of years of drought and transformed into symbols of red alert.



Not surprisingly, the winner of the Sculptures By The Sea People's Choice Award 2014 was Michael Greve's "Breaching". What an appropriate sculpture in this magnificent setting - definitely a very deserving winner! 


Did you get a chance to visit the Scuplture By The Sea exhibition? 

xx
Ingrid

You can also find me on Instagram: 







20 comments:

  1. I visit Sculpture by the Sea every year but a family illness prevented me from going this year. Looking at your lovely photos is a great consolation prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn for your lovely comment. I wish your son a speedy recovery.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cottesloe will be another perfect setting for this exhibition! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. No, I've never actually been! Looks fun though. Great photos. What a lovely place to have an art exhibition!

    Di // http://maxtheunicorn.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best setting ever and great for kids! There are quite a few interactive art works that kids love.

      Delete
  4. I've been to Sculpture by the Sea before (2012 and last year), but didn't make it this year. Some of those sculptures look better than last year's, kind of bummed now that I missed it. That said, no matter what time of the week you go (I went mid-week both times), there are hordes - you can't escape it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I've always visited the exhibition on weekends. I just assumed it would be less busy during the week.

      Delete
  5. I love the whale. Wish we lived in Sydney and could go to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whale was spectacular. It was made from a tree trunk!

      Delete
  6. I have never been. Never really been into the art thing so my willingness to go to these things is very low. But seeing the pictures is just as good as being there for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  7. Damn...can't believe I missed it this year! Looks like it was fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you missed it as it was fun! You'll have to mark it on your calendar for next year!

      Delete
  8. We have a similar exhibition in Perth over summer - always so amazing to go and see the art at sunset and finish off with fish and chips on the beach - magic!!!

    Hello from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the same exhibition that travels to Cottesloe. Fish and chips on the beach does sound magic!

      Delete
  9. Sounds amazing. I love that walk. To have the sculptures there as well must be very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this walk too, Renee. I just wish it were a little closer to where I live!

      Delete
  10. There are some amazing sculptures there! I like the red tree like things. They look a bit like jelly fish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, not quite what the artist probably had in mind, but after re-looking at that photo, and considering the beach setting, I can now see the jelly fish resemblance!

      Delete