Monday, 23 March 2015

10 Tips Learnt At The Styling You Selfie Workshop

It was with great excitement and anticipation but also a lot of trepidation that I stepped into the private dining room at QT Sydney to attend the Selfie Workshop hosted by none other than Nikki Parkinson from Styling You, and Olympus.

What was I doing? I'm predominantly a beauty blogger, not a fashion blogger and I'm not a selfie taker but here I was stepping completely and utterly out of my comfort zone about to immerse myself in the world of selfie taking!

I have been a fan girl of Nikki's for a while now. Nikki is the Selfie Goddess with her daily #everydaystyle photos which she has done for well over a year now without missing a single day! Wowee! If anyone could teach me how to take a decent selfie it would be Nikki.

Luckily Nikki realised that not all of us are as comfortable in front of the camera as she is, so very thoughtfully she gifted us all with a fabulous aromatherapy product from Twenty-8, a Courage & Confidence spray. 

So, after a presentation by Nikki of her top Selfie Taking Tips, a bit of instruction re the amazing Olympus cameras from their expert, Quett, and a lot of spritzes of Courage & Confidence we were off, putting our newly learnt theory into practice and taking selfies left, right and centre! 




Here are the top 10 tips I learnt from Nikki's presentation:

1. Lighting is important. Natural indirect light is your friend.
Nikki explained how it's best to have the light source behind the camera and the photographer so the light falls on the subject. Here's two photos that illustrate why!



2. For a head shot selfie have the camera slightly above your head height to avoid double chin looks.

I did have two photos to illustrate this as well but even with the Courage & Confidence spray I'm too vain to put my "camera too low resulting in a quadruple chin turkey neck" photo up on this post! Sorry about that but here's the better version with the camera slightly above my head height as recommended by Nikki.




3. For a full length selfie Nikki recommended setting the camera height on a tripod or have the photographer hold the camera at about your chest height to avoid you looking out of proportion. If the camera is held too high your legs will look shorter. If it's too low your body will look shorter.

4. Also for full length photos the positioning of your body is important in achieving a slimmer and more flattering photo. If standing front on to the camera, have your hips turned to the side and twist your upper body towards the camera. This feels slightly strange at first but gives you a much slimmer and more flattering photo.

5. Create some space between your arms and your body for a more flattering photo.  You can do this by placing one or both hands on your hips. Another flattering pose Nikki suggested is when wearing a jacket, have one hand on your hip and the other holding the edge of your jacket.




6. Cross one leg over the other for a slimmer and more flattering photo. Alternatively position one foot out to the side and forwards a bit to create space between your legs. The latter positioning works well together with tip 4.



7. When taking selfies with two people in the photo get as close to the other person as possible. Forget about personal space! The closer you are to the other person the better the photo looks.


8. The above photo also illustrates the importance of head & chin position. Nikki recommends tilting your chin out and slightly up to once again avoid the double chin look. She does this pose perfectly! Me, I've got a bit of practicing to do in front of the mirror I think!

9. In group wefies Nikki also recommends to get as close together as possible. Photo credit for this wefie goes to Nikki.


10. A plain background such as a painted wall will allow the clothes you are wearing to stand out. Usually it's better to avoid a "busy" background.

And finally a bonus tip, because everyone loves a bonus!

11. The final tip I learnt from Nikki's Selfie workshop was that a good camera does make a huge difference! At home I've been using my iPad and my daughter's iPhone to take my photos whereas at this workshop I used the Olympus PEN-E-PL7. I now fully understand why this amazing little camera has been nicknamed the Selfie Camera. It really is easy to use, fantastic for taking selfies and has in-built wi-fi. I really, really, really want one, no make that NEED one! 

Thank you Nikki for being so generous in sharing your selfie taking tips with us! I really appreciated it and loved meeting you. Thank you Olympus for the use of your cameras during this workshop. #OlympusLovesBloggers really is an accurate hashtag! Hopefully my selfie photos will show a significant improvement from now on!


Have you stepped out of your comfort zone recently?

xxx
Ingrid

You can also find me on Instagram:

 and Facebook:



76 comments:

  1. Fantastic tips thanks for sharing. Your solo selfie close up came out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. The credit for these tips goes fully to Nikki. I'm so grateful for her generosity in sharing them with the 20 bloggers who were lucky enough to attend her workshop.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing what you learnt and like Deb said the solo selfie is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips - looks like you all had so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! As you can imagine with 20 bloggers in the room plus Nikki we all had a blast!

      Delete
  4. You are working the camera, go girl! Nikki does seem to have the selfie down, it's good to learn from a master!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is just fabulous Ingrid ... so glad you were able to attend and get so much out of the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki. I'm at the motor registry at the moment about to have my licence photo taken. Hoping to get the head and chin position right for my licence for once!

      Delete
    2. Nope, no head tilt was allowed, nor was a smile!!! Now where is the fun in that! Dreading what this photo will turn out like! I wasn't allowed to use ant of your selfie tips Nikki :(

      Delete
  6. Great post Ingrid!
    You guys looked like you had such a fun day. I don't selfie a lot but when I next do I'll be putting yours and Nikki's tips into practice.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't selfie a lot either usually but with my newly learnt tips I might be tempted to selfie a bit more!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing these very helpful tips, Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great workshop! I love Nikki, she's so genuine and caring. My selfies have improved tremendously after blogging for the last 2 1/2 years ... my only other tip would be TAKE HEAPS because that way you will eventually get one decent shot LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips. Now I need some of that spray so I can give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd normally be extremely self conscious taking selfies in front of anyone else but the spray really seemed to work :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I'm green with envy that you got to go along to this. It sounds like an absolutely amazing event. Hey, and great to see some photos of you. You look fantastic. You'll be a selfie pro in no time :) #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee :)

      So much for originally thinking I wouldn't publish any photos of myself on my blog or Instagram accounts!

      Delete
  11. I've never met Nikki but I saw her speak at ProBlogger last year and thought what a sweet-faced, gorgeous woman she was. It's not surprising she has so many fans. That is a completely stunning photo of the both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I'm going to try some of these selfie tips. Sounds like a fun workshop with a bunch of great gals. Thanks for sharing the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonia! It was fun :) I'm still practicing the poses trying to make them feel more natural!

      Delete
  13. Great tips. Looks like a fun workshop. Hoping it makes its way to Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Argh, thanks for sharing!! I take a terrible photo, definitely going to try some of these :P! x

    | www.fiddleandspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun practicing and finding which pose works best for you Jemima!

      Delete
  15. Great tips, glad you shared them. I love your top by the way, it's gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the wefie!!
    These are great tips. I always struggle with selfies which means that there are about 3 photos in existence of me that I'm happy with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same with hardly any photos of myself! Thanks to Styling You's Selfie Workshop this will hopefully now change!

      Delete
  17. Wasn't it a fabulous afternoon? I was totes out of my comfort zone too but since then I've been taking selfies and posing like a boss! Kind of! Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I'll be pinning this for future reference. Whenever I try and take a selfie I end up taking about 50 photos, then give up because I hate them all ;) Will be trying out these tips for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounded like a fun event to attend! Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone. They are all great tips that make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lot of fun! Good company including19 bloggers plus Nikki, good food, good wine and good cameras!

      Delete
  20. Great tips here; there are several that I haven't heard before. I always see others that take such great selfies and me--not so much. Stopping by from the SITS Sharefest and now off to share these tips with others. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Ann. I hope you can put these selfie taking tips to good use.

      Delete
  21. What a fabulous wefie! The event looks like lots of fun and I love your summary of the tips. So much to learn - selfies scare the bejesus out of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wefie is my favourite photo from this workshop!

      Delete
  22. Great tips. I'm always taking selfies. Found your blog through Saturday sharefest.
    http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! I've enjoyed reading your blog also! I love finding new blogs through the Saturday sharefest link up!

      Delete
  23. Definitely #2. Gotta hide those chins! Found you through the SITS sharefest! http://www.rippedjeansandbifocals.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number 2 is definitely a useful tip! Thanks for visiting my blog Jill :)

      Delete
  24. These are great tips! - Seri from serisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds like a really fun workshop! I'm a beauty blogger too and I live alone so all of my makeup shots are selfies. I'm terrible at them. Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to discover a new beauty blogger! I love your blog!

      Delete
  26. I needed this! I suck at taking selfies. My biggest challenge is figuring out the neck position - I either look like a swan or a turkey! #SITSSharefest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can put these tips to good use. Looking like a swan doesn't sound too bad! Prior to attending this workshop I more often than not used to look like a turkey!

      Delete
  27. These sounds like really good tips, and I bet it was a lot of fun to practice them! :) I take outfit pics every day for my blog but I don't always stop and think about better ways to pose - I should! :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! Now I need to practice, practice, practice!

      Delete
  28. Great tips and it sounds like a fun workshop to attend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great tips, I'm a bit of a selfie addict myself. I love that top of you, so nice and bright! I must start wearing more colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! It's one of those tops that always cheers me up when I wear it!

      Delete
  30. Oh wow! Great tips! I'm all for avoiding those double chins and displaying the lumps and bumps that have found their way onto my body after 2 kids. I will need to memorise this for future photography sessions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are excellent tips! Selfies don't tend to agree with me, It takes about 50 shots to find a half decent pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily! We did take loads of shots at the workshop! So these are the best of those!

      Delete
  32. I love a good selfie and you have given me a few extra tips. Thanks heaps and I didn't even need to attend the workshop.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to pass on some of Nikki's expert tips!

      Delete
  33. How lucky are you to go to the workshop! I follow lots of these rules because I learnt them in a deportment class years ago. The only problem is when trying to take a selfie with a toddler they don't ever want to stay still or follow posing tips so a lot of them are out of focus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had done a deportment class when I was younger!

      Delete
  34. Thank you for sharing what you learned! I need all the selfie help I can get. A fab wifi camera would be a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lusting after the Olympus PEN Selfie camera! Oh well maybe in a few months time for my birthday. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  35. How fun!! I'm not really a selfie taker but I'll be using these tips in any future photos I need to feature in. It's like an instant facelift and diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you'll be using these tips! Definitely easier than dieting or face lifts!

      Delete
  36. Love your tips Ingrid. It was so lovely meeting you at the luncheon. V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. It was lovely meeting you also :)

      Delete
  37. Some great tips there. I've been a bit self conscience to do selfies but must give it a go. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting over my self consciousness is one of my biggest battles with selfies! But the more I take the less self conscious I'm becoming!

      Delete
  38. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.

    selfie apps

    ReplyDelete