Monday, 14 March 2016

7 Tips How To Make Your Fragrance Last Longer

I absolutely love fragrances and I don't feel fully dressed without a spritz of fragrance. It's the final step in my beauty routine before I step out the door each morning. Unfortunately however my fragrances don't always last as long as I'd like them to last!

As a result I've done a bit of research and experimentation and I've identified the following 7 tips to make my fragrances last longer!


7 Tips How To Make Your Fragrance Last Longer

Tip 1: Targeted Spritzing
Some parts of your body are better for spritzing than others if you want your fragrance to last longer. Your fragrance will last longer if spritzed onto your body's pulse points or onto warm areas of your body. This includes on the 
  • inside of your wrists 
  • on your neck
  • inside your elbows & 
  • behind your knees.
❌ Do not rub your wrists together if you spritz your fragrance onto the inside of your wrists. Doing so will result in the fragrance wearing off quicker, especially the top notes!

Two other surprisingly good locations to spritz your fragrances are: 
  • on your stomach & 
  • at the back of your neck, under your hair. 
These spots are heat radiating zones that will keep your fragrance alive for longer.

Tip 2: Skin Preparation is Key
To make your makeup last longer you use a primer. To make your fragrance last longer you can dab some Vaseline on to your skin where you plan to spritz the fragrance. This will hold the fragrance on your skin for longer.

Tip 3: Hair Holds Fragrances Well Too
Spray some fragrance onto your hairbrush and then brush your hair. This transfers the fragrance into your hair and you'll leave a lovely trail of fragrance behind you as your hair swishes whilst you move! 

Tip 4: Type of Fragrance
Citrus fragrances evaporate off the body faster. Fragrances containing notes of patchouli, jasmine, tuberose, amber, sandalwood and vanilla last longer. Generally woody and oriental
fragrances have the best longevity.

Tip 5: Choose Your Fragrance Strength
Eau de parfums have the highest concentration of essential oils and thus their fragrance will last longer than the fragrance of a eau de toilette. An eau de cologne has an even lower concentration of fragrance oils.

If you want your fragrance to last longer choose eau de perfums.

Some of my favourite long lasting eau de parfums include the following. I have provided links to those of them that I have seen on special recently. Why buy for full price if you can find the same item on sale!



Favourite Long Lasting Fragrances


Chloe EDP 

Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP

Chanel No.5 EDP

Jurlique Essence Of Rose Roll On Fragrance Oil 

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture For Women EDP Spray 100ml

Giorgio Armani Code Femme EDP 75ml

Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy EDP 100ml  

Tip 6: Store Wisely
Store your fragrances in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. Heat, light and humidity can break down some fragrance ingredients and lessen the fragrance's quality.

Do not store your fragrances in a humid bathroom.
Do not store your fragrances near a window.
❌ Do not store your fragrances near a heater.

Pretty as they look all out on display, fragrances are actually best kept in a cupboard if you want to ensure their longevity!

Tip 7: Reapply As Required
Sometimes unfortunately, despite all the above steps, your fragrance will not last as long as you'd like it to!

In these situations use a small easily refillable atomiser such as the Travalo Refillable Perfume Atomiser pictured below to reapply your favourite fragrance as required. 


Travalo Refillable Perfume Atomisers

Do you have any additional tips?
What is your current favourite fragrance?

xxx
Ingrid.

You can also find Fabulous and Fun Life on:

 Instagram:





68 comments:

  1. Great advice, Ingrid. I will stop rubbing my wrists together today!!! I heard that perfume keeps well in the fridge. I don't know if it's true or not, but a splash of cool perfume does feel great. Interesting tip about the vaseline. I'm going to try the spray in the hairbrush idea. Love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Vaseline? Huh!
    I actually have a sensitive nose so many fragrances just give me a headache, but to avoid that problem I spray the perfume on the back of my hair and on my back. That way others can smell me without it going right up my snoz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good tips here - I spray perfume on my stomach too! I've used paw paw ointment before as a "primer" so to speak, but I don't think it made much of a difference. I think it depends on your body's chemistry on the day really - sometimes I've had perfume last longer than it normally does on me, other times it fades quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, I have a real issue with my perfume not lasting, so I will be giving these a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there you go I have learnt lots about getting my perfume to last thank you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I have never thought of spraying perfume on my brush and brushing through my hair - what a great idea. I'm off to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love Chanel no5. It was my favourite fragrance when I was working. Since I've been a stay at home mum though the most fragrance I use is a spray of deodorant. I really should get my perfumes out and play around with them before they go yuck. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew some of these, but not all! Great tips - especially the one about the Vaseline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always used to spritz into my hair! I haven't worn perfume for a while because my usuals are all old and on the turn so I need a new fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No more wrist rubbing for me! Thanks for the excellent tips Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tips are brilliant! Thank you! I DO rub my wrists together - whoops! Now I know not too xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much great advice. Many years ago I purchase a fragrance in Italy and it came with a separate bottle of "hair fragrance" which meant I smelt like a cloud of perfume! I'm stopping the wrist rubbing too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips. I always rub my wrists together. Will definitely have to stop doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfume tends to trigger my hay fever, so when I do wear it I keep it away from my nose and put it behind my knees ��

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh I didn't know a primer helped. My friend used to keep her perfume in the fridge

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a helpful post! I didn't know about the Vaseline or the hair trick. I'll definitely be giving those a go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really wear perfume for me, so I often reapply if I can't 'sniff' it. I think it has a comfort thing for me. Not entirely sure why....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep my fragrances in their original boxes to preserve them. I have been buying a few lately. I bought Lady GaGa's fragrance. I can't remember the name of it but the perfume is black in colour and it smells incredible. I think it has Belladonna in it. Very exotic and nice. Check that one out too. X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh oh, my perfumes are in my bathroom cabinet next to the window. Better find them a new home...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips. I didn't know about the storage stuff. That is where I am going wrong and why mine don't last.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great tips! I didn't know I wasn't supposed to rub my wrists together! I knew about the vaseline trick I've just never done it! I think I will have to try it next! Thanks for sharing at Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are interesting facts and tips. I didn't know about the primer and Vaseline trick, cool.
    Thank you for linking up to "Bloggers Who Have Inspired Me"
    Rachel xo
    http://garaytreasures.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tips. I don't wear a lot of perfume as it aggravates my husband's sinuses but I do love to wear it for a special occasion when I head out without him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great tips, I always put my perfume on my wrists and neck but had never thought about putting it in my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I might have to add a little spritz to the hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome tips Ingrid. I found a bottle of perfume at the back of a draw the other day, it must have been over 10 years old so out it went. Love the hair tip... Have also heard behind the knees is a good spot. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for linking to the Lovin' Life Linky again this week. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are great! I love the way my hair holds the smell of whatever I spray in it. I get upset if I can't smell myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - there's a few tips I hadn't heard before in here Ingrid. Thanks for sharing the love! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tips! I'm a former wrist smoosher! I do find that sunscreen really affects the 'presence' of my perfume, which is a shame because I want to protect my skin but smell good also.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips Ingrid!! i'll definitely make sure to spray some on my hair next time, I had no idea that would retain the longevity of the fragrance!

    lilynotlouise.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tips! I always hear how you shouldn't rub your wrists together but I can't seem to help it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great tips! I always hear how you shouldn't rub your wrists together but I can't seem to help it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't know you shouldn't rub your wrists together! Thanks for the tips! Love using my atomiser

    ReplyDelete
  35. Brilliant tips. I knew some but not all. I love the hair brush idea. Thank you for sharing on #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
  36. Woo hoo! I've taken all these on board - there's quite a few I didn't know hon, and you know how much I love fragrance, so I thank you from the bottom of my perfumed heart ♥ Current fave for Autumn is an old classic - Opium! But then again I have so many "faves" - have hauled my Katy Perry Killer Queen and Royal Revolution out of the cupboard for the cooler weather too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for all the great tips. I am out of fragrance, just a roll on for me at the moment. I didn't know about all the different eau de's, most interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great advice Ingrid. Going to try the Vaseline tip tomorrow. Chloe is my absolute favourite. I always get compliments wearing it x

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love Burberry Brit myself but will be trying out your tip about spraying on the back of my neck. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I always knew to spray perfume in these areas from watching my mom. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great advice here. A bottle of perfume in our country is not that cheap so your list here is indeed useful. I always give my mom a bottle of perfume as she loves receiving them. Her favorites from your collection are Chanel 5 and Versace.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's good to know I've been doing it right all along! I always spray on my neck and my wrists, as well as my elbows! I didn't know the vaseline trick though, that's something new. Thanks for all these awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  43. For years we were taught to rub ... but it's good to know that doesn't keep fragrance on. I loved these tips--some new, some good reminders for me.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Vaseline and spray on the base of my neck. Done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Those are great tips! I had never heard of dabbing vaseline on my skin to make the perfume last longer!

    ReplyDelete
  46. None of my perfumes have ever lost their fragrance. I've had some for years too. I do always spray it on pulse points though, and sometimes in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  47. These are great tips. I have to try the Vaseline trick.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've always rubbed my wrists together. Yikes, I had no idea! Good to know these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Interesting! I learned quite a lot. I'll have to try putting it on the back of my neck now!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I've watched somewhere that perfume can last longer when stored in ref. Not sure if it's true tho

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm going to use that Vaseline tip. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I wish this would be effective on colognes as well. I'm not really a fan of perfumes but I do love colognes.

    ReplyDelete
  53. These are awesome tips! I think there was a movie I watched where the lady would spray the perfume in the air and would jump at that spot where she sprayed at to get the perfume to stick to her. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh wow…I always rub my wrists together when I add fragrance to them. I am really going to have to break myself out of that habit.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Inside my elbows is my super special secret spot to spray perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  56. i LOVE spraying fragrances in my hair. IT does hold better and it last for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  57. This is so helpful! I always have to reapply fragrances throughout the day which sucks. Especially for my bags that always smell like Daisy by Marc Jacobs.

    ReplyDelete
  58. excellent tips, and yeah I always make sure that i sprayed some into my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Great advice ! My grandma has always taught us to use vaseline before the perfume, it is truly effective!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for the tips, I spritz in some of those areas too!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I will have to give these tips a try when I do wear my fragrances. I don't often but this is awesome stuff to know.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I love the targeting tip - I love it when my other half has perfume behind her ear or on her neck, as I can smell it so much better when we embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Such a great tips. I always want my perfume to last longer until the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  64. What an awesome tips. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Great tips you have there. I also don't go out with spritzing some perfume. I feel so incomplete without perfume. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Great tips, I'm going to try the tip with the vaseline!

    ReplyDelete
  67. These are great tips. I usually spray it on my wrists and rub, but I definitely won't be doing that now!

    ReplyDelete