Monday, 27 June 2016

Lite n' Easy Review

Realising that I'd put on 5 kgs of weight recently after I stopped attending the gym due to an ongoing knee injury I knew I had to change the way I was eating. 

Weight maintenance and weight loss is really a basic equation involving energy in and energy out BUT my experience is that it's a really hard thing to do yourself without assistance!

Thus when the opportunity arose to trial two weeks of Lite n' Easy breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners I jumped to accept this as fast as my knee would allow - lol!

About Lite n' Easy 
Lite n' Easy meals are designed by chefs and dietitians, and are based on the Australian Dietary Guidelines so you know you are receiving the nutritional requirements you need. 

Lite n' Easy is extremely flexible to fit in with your requirements and lifestyle. You can choose from 5 day or 7 day plans, of 1200, 1500 or 1800 calories. You can choose to order 
  • breakfasts, lunches and dinners
  • breakfast and lunches only
  • breakfasts and dinners only
  • lunches and dinners only
  • dinners only
  • or other convenient options too.
Lite n' Easy does all the hard work for you. They plan the meals taking the season into account, calculate calories, shop for the ingredients, prepare and cook the meals, and then deliver your chosen meals to you. Think of all the time this saves you!

All you have to do is choose and order your fully prepared meals and then enjoy them!

How Are the Meals Delivered?
Lite n' Easy deliver their meals to you once a week. The day of delivery depends on where you live.

The food arrived at my front door well packed and sealed, kept cool in a foam esky packed with dry ice. I didn't have to be home to accept the delivery - yay! 

Inside the esky the delivery is divided into well labelled plastic bags. Breakfasts, lunches and dinners are in separate bags. Furthermore items to be refrigerated are in separate bags to items needing to be frozen. Each day's food is clearly labeled.

The labeled packaging makes this system very easy to follow. 

Lite n' Easy Delivery and Packaging

How Much Fridge and Freezer Space Did I Need?
I ordered the 7 day breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The fridge space required was one shelf in our relatively small fridge plus a bit less freezer space. 


Lite n' Easy Food. Photos from top left going clockwise:
1. All the breakfasts requiring refrigeration
2. All the lunches requiring refrigeration
3. The one fridge shelf these items take up
4. All the frozen dinners.


Not pictured were the breakfast and lunch items needing to be frozen.

Breakfasts
Each day there was a choice of two breakfast options. Included over the period of a week there was the choice of four cooked breakfasts.

Because I start work at 7am three days a week, on those days I made sure I chose the cereal, toast and fruit option Lite n' Easy breakfast so I could prepare it at work with minimum fuss and without having to cook anything more than toast. I have however seen some of my colleagues at work cooking Lite n' Easy eggs and bacon in the microwave.

The following breakfast is a typical Lite n' Easy non cook breakfast: Honey Muesli Flakes with Skim Milk. Two slices of Wholegrain & Oat Toast with Butter and Plum Jam. A Peach Cup. The only food you need to provide yourself is skim milk for the cereal.


Typical Lite n' Easy Non Cook Breakfast (Still Packaged).

Typical Lite n' Easy Non Cook Breakfast

When you do need to cook a breakfast yourself Lite n' Easy provide a recipe card for you to follow and the steps are extremely easy like the fresh omelette breakfast pictured below.


Fresh Omelette (Two Eggs, Ham & Tomato Mix and Cheese)
with Ciabatta Toast and Butter. Pear Cup

Some hot breakfasts that just need reheating in the microwave such as the one below are also available. This was the best winter morning breakfast last week!

Fruit & Bran Cereal With Skim Milk.
Savoury Mince with Smashed Peas & Tomato
on Soy & Linseed Toast. Orange.

Lunches
Similar to the breakfast menu, the Lite n' Easy lunch menu changes seasonally too. 

There is a choice of two lunch meals for each day. Lunch items may include a combination of both fresh (refrigerated) and frozen items.

To give you an idea of typical Lite n' Easy lunches, I've photographed two of my favourite Lite n' Easy lunches from my two week trial.

Firstly, I've included the still packaged lunch of sliced chicken breast, salad and cranberry sauce sandwich on rye bread with a red apple and peanuts, almonds and cashews. YUM!!!

The packaging of all the items is secure and keeps everything fresh. It is easy to open. Everything in this photo was refrigerated except for the bread which was frozen.

Lite n' Easy Lunch (Still Packaged)

Following is the same lunch plated up. This lunch, like all the lunches was easy to assemble and there was a choice of whether to plate up the chicken breast chilled or heated in the microwave.  

Lite n' Easy Lunch Plated Up

Secondly is another favourite Lite n'Easy lunch of mine consisting of sliced roast chicken breast with tomato and guacamole in a wrap, with a kiwifruit, vanilla yoghurt, almonds, pretzels and peanuts.

Lite n' Easy Lunch (Still Packaged)

There were also a couple of hot lunch options each week too, including a delicious winter warming pumpkin soup with two slices of oat & rye toast with a peach and pear cup and also a snack. Another hot option was a beef & broccolini stir fry with a fruit salad cup and snacks.

Dinners
There are over 45 dinners to choose from including pasta, seafood, modern Australian, traditional favourite and world classic dishes.

All dinners arrive frozen and can be either microwaved in approximately 8 minutes or cooked in a conventional oven.

Pictured below are the seven dinners I chose for my first week's trial of Lite n' Easy.

Lite n' Easy Dinners

I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dinners.

Having previously tried the calorie controlled frozen meals available in supermarkets I was expecting a similar quality meal to those, but Lite n' Easy meals are definitely a big step up from those ones.

The pieces of meat, chicken and seafood are generous and tender, the vegies taste fresh and the meals are genuinely delicious! The rest of my family thought they were missing out big time when they saw what I was eating compared to our routine food they were eating!  

The picture you see on the front of the Lite n' Easy dinner boxes is exactly what you receive! 


Lite n' Easy Chargrilled Steak with Pepper Sauce

Lite n' Easy Chargrilled Steak with Pepper Sauce

Lite n' Easy Honey Soy Chicken

Lite n' Easy Honey Soy Chicken

My favourite dinner over the two week trial was the Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks. My iPhone photo doesn't really do justice to this meal but the meat was absolutely, melt in your mouth delicious!


Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks

Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks

Would I recommend Lite n' Easy?
The answer to this is a definite YES!

During the two week trial I lost a kg a week with no effort on my part. I felt satisfied and fulfilled by the food and was never hungry. 

The meals were delicious!

The meals were convenient!

They saved me time, not having to plan, shop, count calories or prepare any of the meals myself.

Knowing the meals were nutritionally balanced, healthy and within Australian Dietary Guidelines was reassuring. 

I also found Lite n' Easy educational, seeing what quantities, portions and variety of food I should be eating.

Not only would I recommend Lite n' Easy to others but I have decided to continue ordering Lite n' Easy meals for myself for at least the next month, and now pay for these meals myself.

This to me is the true indication of a blogger's endorsement of a product they have trialed, if after the conclusion of the trial, they liked and benefited from the product so much that they decide to continue using the product and purchase it for themselves. 

If you are interested in finding out more about the Lite n' Easy meal program or if you want to try it for yourself, click on this link to www.liteneasy.com.au.

Have You Ever Tried Lite n' Easy Meals?

xxx
Ingrid.

You can also find Fabulous and Fun Life on:

 Instagram:

Two weeks of Lite n' Easy meals were supplied to me in exchange for a review of them. 
All opinions are my own. Full disclosure policy here.

58 comments:

  1. Wow, I love how convenient these meals are and they look great too! I'd love to have someone delivering my meals each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my male colleagues at work who is on the Lite n' Easy meals purely for the convenience of them (he doesn't need to lose any weight) calls them Lite n' Lazy!
      He reckons he hasn't done any grocery shopping for food, apart from milk, all year!

      Delete
  2. My mum has tried Lite n Easy a number of times and she loves them. I've tried one of the vegetarian ones.I think it was Mexican and it was absolutely delicious. I love the idea of having my meals already planned and ready to cook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to include a Mexican meal in my next order. I haven't tried those ones yet.

      Delete
  3. I've used Lite n Easy in the past. It's so covenient, not too expensive and the food was yummy. It was a long time ago though! Lovely to see some of the meals they offer these days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the taste and the convenience of Lite n' Easy.

      Delete
  4. I would love to try Lite n Easy but I have always worried that their meals would be too large for me. I am quite a light eater. The thought of ready meals is so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can choose between the 1200, 1500 & 1800 calorie meal plan. I find the 1500 calorie meals a good size but maybe you'd best suit the 1200 calorie meal plan?

      Lite n' Easy also do have smaller Mini Meals.

      Delete
  5. The Builder and I did Lite N Easy for 6 months or so a few years back, mostly for the convenience . Was so handy to have everything ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when colleagues were on it ages ago their biggest compliant was the lack of variety. It seems like they've addressed that now :) I'm a bit surprised by the breakfast options - I struggle with breakfast the most (as I grab and run) and Lite n Easy aren't any more inventive than I am - and the other reason I struggle with breakfast is that I don't like cereal and toast gets boring quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have different preferences, I gravitated towards the toast and cereal breakfast options as these seem like the easiest for me to grab and have at work compared to making an omelette or scrambled eggs etc.

      Delete
  7. I love delivered meals!!! you are really tempting me as the food looks great!

    lilynotlouise.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, delivered meals are the best Lily!

      Delete
  8. I haven't... but sounds appealling as I need to lose weight too and the meals I cook for the family are just not ideal for me. Sometimes I do cook a lighter alternative for myself but often I don't. Unlike the kids I don't need huge pasta meals or loads of noodles, I just need protein and heaps of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids and I have very different meal requirements, it will be even more so when my daughter returns to her training.

      Delete
  9. I would totally do this if they had it in NZ! I'm all about convenience! #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. Injuries are the worst for putting on weight! I put on about the same when I broke my ankle a few months ago. I managed to lose 2.5kgs last week on Ration Challenge though! Not that I would recommend it. The food on Lite n Easy is soooooo much tastier. I used their meal delivery service after my first son was born and lost about 7kgs. It was fabulous. I'm a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lite n' Easy would be so convenient for new mums! I'm also thinking of ordering it for my elderly parents. That way I know they are getting all the proper nutrition they need.

      Delete
  11. Oh fantastic. I would dearly love to try their products. Ive tried to win a kick start of a couple of weeks lite n easy on their facebook page but no matter how many times I try Im not lucky. Im nervous about forking out cash to find it wont work for me.
    It all looks wonderful though....good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep trying to win, you never know your luck!

      Delete
  12. I've tried light and easy before and its super easy. Also tried YouFoodz (which I loved because you can just order the meals without the breakfast) BUT as convenient as it is, I found it quite expensive xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to order breakfasts with Lite n' Easy if you don't want to. I choose to as it's convenient for me and I end up eating more variety than I otherwise would.

      Delete
  13. I'd love the convenience but would still have to shop and cook/organise for the rest of the family so that would be outweighed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cook for the rest of the family but it's timesaving in that I don't need to cook something different for myself whilst I am wanting calorie controlled meals.

      Delete
  14. Love how convenient this looks, I get so slack cooking these days. Too time poor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My motivation for doing Lite n' Easy is weight related although its convenience is a welcome bonus, but one of my male work colleagues does Lite n' Easy purely for its conveniennce.

      Delete
  15. I have been so interested in trying Lite'n'Easy, partly for the convenience, and partly because I'd love to lose a couple of kgs too! Love your review, thank you for sharing! I'll have to look into ordering some myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This program is definitely convenient and effective!

      Delete
  16. I've heard great things about Lite'n'Easy. Great things. I once did Jenny Craig but couldn't continue because I have food sensitivities and all the preservatives and some flavour enhancers completely did me in. I hear Lite'n'Easy is a bit less "packaged" and "processed" though? I admit the Jenny Craig experience was 20 years ago so I'm sure they have lifted their game by now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the Lovin' Life Linky again this week!

      Delete
  17. I shop for an elderly woman and she gets just the dinners because she doesn't want to cook all the time. They last her ages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a perfect service for the elderly. I'm sorry I wasn't familiar with it when my mum was in hospital and my sister and I were ferrying meals over to Dad to ensure he ate well. Lite n' Easy would have been perfect for him.

      Delete
  18. A friend of mine does it but it's hard for me because I'm coeliac my choices are more limited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not the best option for coeliacs unfortunately :(

      Delete
  19. I have done light n easy in the past and I loved the convenience. Unfortunately I am a bit of a funny eater and avoid red meat and fish where ever I can and I found the remaining options a bit limited. My hubby though eats everything and had so many choices. Seriously it was so good coming home and not having to meal plan, shop or worry about cooking - like a mini holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very impressed that you've chosen to keep buying them yourself! The meals look much better than what I expected. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the sign of a product/service I love when after trialling it, I buy it with my own money in order to continue using it.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for sharing your Lite'n'Easy experience. I agree with previous comments, the food looks much nicer than I thought it would.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great run down and thanks for sharing. I have always wondered if Lite'n'Easy would be a good option for me while the Mr is away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, it will make your life a bit easier whilst he's away!

      Delete
  23. When I lived in Sydney and as I am generally cooking for one (hub eats a very limited diet) I used to get dinners and meals in a bowl and they were good to have in my freezer. I agree re the quality too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found the variety to be good with Lite n' Easy. I wouldn't buy the same wide variety of food each week that I can choose to have with Lite n' Easy.

      Delete
  24. I used to have some of these a few years ago, they were always quite tasty. Now that I am gluten free it knocks out a huge chunk of choices for me :( But good to see the variety they offer! Jackie (Lipstick, Lattes & Louboutins)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those dinners actually look pretty yummy and a decent sized serving as well! I've never tried a food type programme like this but imagine it would be great even for when you're working and too busy to cook during the week to have ready made meals would be a big help and the fact that they are healthy is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like Lite n Easy have stepped up their game. My sister used to get it and it was just awful, a lot of the food that arrived look so unappetising and tasted about the same haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have used Lite n easy in the past and loved it too. Very convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This would be so nice! Like having my own personal chef. And, to lose weight too! win-win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit like having a personal chef and dietition/nutritionist rolled into one!

      Delete
  29. I've always wondered what the meals are like. I love how they supply everything, even the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing they don't supply is the skim milk! Everything else is supplied.

      Delete
  30. Excellent review Ingrid - gosh this looks and sounds so darn convenient! I think you're onto a good thing here hon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've heard great things about Lite n Easy. And I think losing a kilo over 2 weeks is realistic and sustainable. The food looks delish too! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish I could find a service like this! I'm all about light, healthy eating, so this is right up my alley. Well done on the weightloss!

    ReplyDelete