Monday, 11 July 2016

5 Winter Essentials

Winter has finally arrived in Sydney and it has been bitterly cold over the last couple of weeks.

Winter is definitely my least favourite season. It plays total havoc with my skin, and this has only worsened as I've become older!

As a result during winter I change my skincare and beauty routines and definitely up my moisturising game! 

Below are some of my winter skincare and wellness essentials.


Winter Essentials

Rosehip Oil - Trilogy Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+
One of the first products I reach for when the weather starts becoming cooler is my rosehip oil. It is so nourishing, rejuvenating and deeply moisturising.

Rosehip oil is rich in naturally occurring vitamins, powerful antioxidants and essential fatty acids. 

I find rosehip oil absorbs easily into my skin and gives it a lovely youthful and radiant glow. 

A couple of drops of rosehip oil massaged into my skin after cleansing each morning and night not only helps me combat the effects of winter's dehydrating conditions, it also helps me combat the signs of ageing! Yay! 

I'm currently trialling this sample size bottle of Trilogy Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+ and am already planning on purchasing a full sized bottle once this trial bottle is finished.


Trilogy Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+

Daily Body Moisturiser - Jergens Daily Moisture
As a beauty blogger I know I probably shouldn't admit this but sometimes I become a bit complacent with my body moisturising routine especially when I'm in a hurry in the early mornings, but in winter I make an extra effort to not skip this vital step.

My current body moisturiser of choice is Jergens Daily Moisture Dry Skin Moisturiser. It smoothes and relieves my rough and dry skin, and also gives it a lovely luminous effect thanks to its illuminating hydralucence blend. It locks in moisture for up to 24 hours and leaves my skin feeling beautifully soft and moisturised all day.

It's also very reasonable priced at $5.99 for 250 ml, or $11.99 for 650 ml.

Jergens Daily Moisture Dry Skin Moisturiser


Hand Cream - QV Hand Cream
My hands are often the first part of my body to show signs of drying out during the cold winter months. The combination of the colder weather, my air conditioned office and frequent hand washing has me reaching for my hand cream even more often in winter than summer to keep my hands moisturised, nourished and soft throughout the day. I keep one opened tube of hand cream at home, one in my handbag and one in my desk drawer at work.

I'm currently using Ego's QV Hand Cream at home.


QV Hand Cream

Insomnia Relief - Brauer SLEEP Tonic
In summer if I can't sleep because my mind is over active I just get up out of bed, potter around doing a few chores or read a book, and then return to bed when I'm ready for sleep.

In winter it's too cold to get out of bed and it's totally frustrating lying there not being able to fall asleep despite being tired, so I've started using Brauer's homeopathic SLEEP Insomnia Relief to help ensure I get a good night's sleep each night. This also comes in tablet form.

It's a homeopathic remedy containing chamomile and passionflower, both of which are traditionally used to relieve sleeplessness and insomnia.

This natural medicine helps my body and mind to relax, is non habit forming and I don't feel drowsy in the morning.


Brauer SLEEP Insomnia Relief Natural Medicine

Cold Sore Prevention - Viraprox
Winter and central heating can play havoc on our lips and dry them out. Winter is also a time when my lips become more prone to suffering from cold sores. It's for this reason I've been using ViraproX triple action Lip Balm since the start of winter to specifically help protect my lips against cold sores whilst also keeping them moisturised and protected from the sun. It's been working so far. I've haven't had a cold sore yet this winter!


ViraproX

Warm Winter Flannelette Pyjamas
My last bonus winter essential is not strictly speaking skincare or wellness related, it's warm winter flannelette pyjamas. The type of pjs that you'd be happy to stay snuggled in on the weekend for far longer than you should! Yes, guilty as charged, your honour!

When winter finally struck Sydney I went to pull out my winter pjs from last season only to find them quite threadbare and no longer nearly as warm, cosy or soft as they should be. 

This did however give me the perfect excuse to go shopping for some new ones because everyone deserves (and needs) warm winter pjs! 

I was lucky to discover Peter Alexander's current sale and I quickly snapped up this cute and cosy Heart Flannelette Nightshirt and Heart Flannelette PJ Pants. They are so soft and warm, plus I love the pretty pink hearts! Both the nightshirt and pants have pockets - yay!.


Peter Alexander Heart Flannelette Nightshirt

I'm thinking of buying the Soft Tartan Boots as well, or maybe the fun Fluffy Bear Slippers! I need to keep my feet warm too!

Now, as soon as I get home from work on weekdays I change straight into my winter pjs. Yes, they are that warm and comfy!

Peter Alexander currently has a wide variety of warm winter pyjamas on sale, and it gets even better! I'm happy to share with you that there is currently a further 30% off the sale price! 

Hurry and click HERE to buy Peter Alexander pyjamas on sale if you are needing new winter pyjamas. Be quick, as I don't know how long the extra sale will last for!

What are your must have winter essentials? 

xxx
Ingrid.


You can also find Fabulous and Fun Life on:

 Instagram:

50 comments:

  1. I LOVE Jergens moisturiser! This makes one of the best hand creams I have ever used. My daughter has run off with my bottle in the last few days and my hands are suffering again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with daughter's pinching our beauty products! My daughter has a habit of "borrowing" my moisturisers and hand creams too!

      Delete
  2. Oh I have a few pairs of flanelette PJs I cannot do winter without them! I noticed the new designs are Disney - I hope my credit card is flexing it's muscles! Great to know about the homeopathic sleep remedy too - I'm a bit of a mid night prowler too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Disney designs are cute, I also like the winter animal designs.

      Delete
  3. The Bauer SLEEP Tonic looks really interesting! I would love a good nights sleep hehe

    Trangles xoxox


    www.doaner-fide.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be a little but growing reason why you're having trouble sleeping right now!

      Delete
  4. Peter Alexander PJ's are the best! I've got some summer PJ's from them & I swear they're the softest, comfiest PJ's I've ever worn.

    I can't live without lip balm in general, but winter is when I feel it the most. A good body moisturiser + hand cream is also essential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in good company loving Peter Alexander PJ's. I've read that Princess Mary orders Peter Alexander PJ's all the way from Denmark too!

      Delete
  5. Cute PJs at PAs! Thanks for the heads-up. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had dreadful insomina lately and while it's still warm here I'd love a good nights sleep so will be checking out the Bauer tonic. I've also got to find my winter woolies as I'm going to be in Sydney next week it will be a shock to my system which is just getting used to the tropics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of that sleep tonic. I think both my husband and I could use some of that. I'm terrible at remembering to moisturise. I really must do it in winter. I'm so dry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hand cream is a must during winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rosehip oil so much - and you can't go past a pair of comfy PA pjs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have recently discovered rosehip oil as well - definitely a convert - it's great! No flanelette PJs for me, "the change" makes me so hot at night I can only wear a little chemise nightie to bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I'd freeze in a chemise nightie currently!

      Delete
  11. Oooh I'll need to check out that rosehip oil! I found it worked really well for some scarring on my legs but haven't used it in a long time as my OB wasn't sure it was safe or unsafe in pregnancy so I stopped using it to be cautious. I'd love to try it as a face oil :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankfully my beauty arsenal already includes lots of your suggestions...quite fancy those pj's though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - I thought you'd especially appreciate the pockets on them :)

      Delete
  13. I hate how dry my skin gets in winter, so moisturizer is top of my beauty list. Love my flannel pjs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It ended up being .8 degrees overnight here in Perth and I froze the entire night. I'm going to have to invest in flannel PJs and ugg boots. Our temp accomodation has no heating or gas. Frustrating when we have two perfectly good gas heaters sitting in storage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Canberra winter definitely creates havoc on my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I got to experience the Sydney winter last week. Yep, it was definitely cooler than usual!

      Delete
  16. I love Peter Alexander. My sister gave me a voucher for my birthday last year and I bought the most comfy and cute pj's I've ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm using rosehip oil at the moment!! Swear by it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm exactly the same (but probably worse!) in that I'm lazy with body moisturising. The Jergens one is so affordable though, I must check it out! Love your cute PJ's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Huge fan of rose hip oil and flannel pyjamas!!! Plus my new electric blanket.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Trilogy Rosehip Oil didn't work for my skin but I found the Nourshing Oil from the Endota Spas works well. Down here in Melbourne a good body scrub for exfoliating and a lovely pashmina for the cooler weather makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my pashmina! Absolute perfect accessory for winter!

      Delete
  21. Love the Trilogy Rosehip Oil but I really like the sound of the Brauer SLEEP Tonic. Sometimes my mind is so active at night thinking of all the things I need to do but this sounds like a great way to unwind and relax into a peaceful slumber! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is the same at night! It just doesn't want to switch off!

      Delete
  22. I have heard so many great reviews of the Jergens brand. I really need to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I should put more cream on my poor old legs and arms as my skin is aging and drying in my old age and the cold. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love rosehip oil and I'll definitely be trying the sleep tonic and moisturiser. I can never seem to pick and good one. Thanks for the tips:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hand cream is a definite must I've been using mine nonstop this winter!

    Lily not Louise

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't know Chamomile was helpful for getting to sleep, I have to remember that.
    I really should have invested in a new pair of flanny pjays this winter, mine are not so fluffy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had no idea there was a lip balm that could hep prevent cold sores - you've seriously changed my life Ingrid!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delighted to read your review of the Jergens - I have one of these ginormous bottles too and haven't opened it yet. Sounds like I'd better ha ha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it after you've used it.

      Delete
  29. I'm with you on the needing more moisture in the winter months! I bathe in cream and/or coconut oil more in the winter than summer months. My husband always jokes that its the season of slim not snow/cold. lol Tal xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Apparently Trilogy Rosehip Oil is Kate Middleton's favourite as well. I'll try it out once I finish my Pai rosehip oil!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been getting the Peter Alexander emails about the PJ sales...oh so very tempting! I've never used Rosehip Oil...I think it's time that I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosehip oil is definitely worth using especially in winter!

      Delete
  32. Winter is my least fav season also. I feel like I'm the only one who can't use rosehip oil! I want to because I know how wonderful it is for the skin but it always makes me breakout! I love homeopathic remedies, especially the ones for sleep since I have insomnia. I have to see if i can get hold of the one you've featured. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that's unfortunate about the rosehip oil! I presume you've tried a few different brands and they all have the same effect?

      Delete
  33. Darphin Hydraskin Rich moisturiser is my new winter saviour. Such an improvement in my skin. Oh and my Peter Alexander zombie PJs of course!

    ReplyDelete