Monday, 22 May 2017

Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa Review

Epilation is the removal of hair using an epilator which is an electrical device that mechanically grasps multiple hairs simultaneously and pulls them out! 

Have you ever considered epilation or are you a regular and experienced epilator? If so you may be interested in the new Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa.

Let me share my first hand experience of epilating using the new Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa and let me confess up front - prior to receiving this device I was an epilator virgin.

The Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa is more than just an epilator however. It's a 4 in 1 full state of the art epilation, exfoliation & massage system with an added bonus facial cleansing brush. It comes with a whopping 12 extras.

Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa

The Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa comes with:

  • The Epilator Itself
  • Deep Massage Pad
  • Exfoliation Brush
  • Gentle Exfoliation Brush
  • 2 Hygiene Caps
  • High Frequency Massage Cap
  • Skin Contact Cap
  • Facial Cap
  • Beauty Pouch
  • Facial Cleansing Brush (Battery Operated)
  • Exfoliation Brush 
  • Extra Sensitive Brush

Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa

Now how did I go using it for the first time ever?

Well never having epilated before I actually read the manual that came with the epilator and I undertook all the tips for novice epilator users:
  • I epilated in the evening so that any possible redness could disappear overnight
  • I relaxed my skin afterwards by using a gentle moisturising cream after epilation
  • I made sure my hairs were between 0.5-5 mm long
  • I ensured my skin was dry and free from grease or cream (Note the epilator can also be used wet but dry sounded easier to me, although wet is recommended to be more relaxing and better for sensitive skin)
  • I stretched my skin where possible whilst epilating
  • I used the massage cap for best skin comfort
  • I used the exfoliation brush 1 day before epilating to reduce the risk of ingrown hairs
  • I also enjoyed using the deep massage body pad to stimulate blood circulation in my legs and leaving my legs feeling soft and smooth
  • I used the slow gentle speed setting
  • And finally, I'm a wimp, I only epilated my legs! I'll build up to epilating the other parts of my body that need hair removal.

Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa

Now here's the question you have all been wanting to ask me I'm sure! 

Did it hurt?

Yes, it did hurt. It was like lots of little needles being inserted into the area I was epilating, namely my legs. But having said that the pain didn't last long and it wasn't as intense as I thought it would be.

I did have to go over parts of my leg more than once to remove all the hairs. I found the light at the front of the epilator most useful in highlighting where the remaining hairs were.

I did get some redness and general skin irritation immediately after epilating but this dissipated within about 30 minutes for me.

My overall conclusion, to be honest is that shaving is quicker, easier and less painful but I'm going to continue with the epilating, of my legs anyway. I'm wanting the long term benefits of epilating, namely the reported sparser less thick hair and the reduced frequency that the hairs reappear. I've also heard that with repeated use the pain of epilating lessens even more.

Are you an epilator user? Do you have any tips or comments about epilating?

Alternatively do you have any questions for me about my experience? 


Don't forget to check out my beauty & fashion discounts & specials page which I update weekly. 


xxx
Ingrid.

You can also find Fabulous and Fun Life on:

 Instagram:

Pinterest:

Facebook:

The Braun Silk-épil 9 SkinSpa was kindly gifted to me for editorial consideration. 
All opinions are my own. Full disclosure policy here.

31 comments:

  1. I tried an epilator many years ago and it's not for me. I can't even wax my legs as the hair tends to break rather than pull out. I wish it would work as then I would be leg hair free for weeks at a time. So it's shaving for me :) #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting up with the discomfort in an effort to be hair free for longer!

      Delete
  2. I can remember my Nan had one of these in the 90's (I think) she loved it. Not sure I like the sound of ripping the hairs out myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say epilators have significantly improved since the 90s but it still does hurt and sting!

      Delete
  3. I have not epilated but I don't think it's for me. My leg hair is really fine and blonde so I get good results from waxing or depilatory cream. It does sound like an awesome unit though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my hairs were fine and blonde! Despite my Estonian heritage my hairs are dark! Damn hairs!

      Delete
  4. We bought Miss 20 one for Christmas, alas, she says it is too painful so I don't think she uses it anymore. Maybe I should snitch it off her? I've never used one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try but commit to trying it a few times as the first time is probably the most uncomfortable it will be.

      Delete
  5. I prefer to use an epilator. I should replace my ancient one with this Braun epilator xx

    Indie// In Search of the Holy Grail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa is an amazing beauty tool that does so much more than just epilating! If you're in the market to replace your current one definitely consider this one.

      Delete
  6. Like Beth I have fine blonde hairs, so I don't think I'd get much benefit from epilating. I appreciate your honest review though!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your and Beth's fine blonde hairs! Lol!

      Delete
  7. I've never epilated before, but I have heard it hurts. I tried leg waxing once, but I wouldn't do it again as (a) it hurt in parts, (b) there were so many blonde hairs left over that I felt like I'd wasted time & money (I had it done professionally - I'd tried doing it myself several times before, but I wimped out) & (c) I also had plenty of broken darker hairs as well. In all honesty, I'll probably stick to shaving even though the results don't last. Thanks for the review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was disappointing about your one waxing experience!

      Delete
  8. I've seen this around, I really want to try it. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been scared to try an epilator! I should really give it go. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    Isabela | www.digyhu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take quite a few deep breaths before I let it touch my skin for the first time! It did hurt but not as bad as I thought!

      Delete
  10. I'm too scared to use a epilator, haha! I think I stick to my shaver!

    Kelsey | www.kelseysarah.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am an epilator virgin and I think I may have to remain that way. I do love the idea of the epilator but I am prone to psoriasis and any trauma to my skin can bring it on, so I think I will have to stick to gentle treatment of my hairy areas (gosh that sounds rude)!! lol #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love using my epilator. This one sounds amazing and it comes with a bonus facial cleansing brush, what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not tried it - too lazy, really

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried epilating my legs once a number of years ago. I found the pain more irritating than waxing, but gave it a go mainly because i couldn't bear growing the hair. I gave up & just shave that area instead. #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tried one years ago- hideously painful. The reduced growth thing can happen but it takes years of waxing or epilating to happen- by that time, for me, I'll be old enough to see a natural decline, I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm the same as you! I enjoyed it, despite the pain, but I still find shaving quicker easier and leaves me smoother. Though I want the long term benefits of the Epilator haha so I'll have to persist!


    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never used one and have considered using one on my bikini area, as I can't shave and waxing is time consuming. But I think an epilator would be equally time consuming

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've tried these devices before. In fact, my Mum bought me something similar. I used it once and then gave it to my aunt. I am fairly hairless and I find shaving really easy and pain free.
    #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like such a great set, I love how it has all the changeable heads but you're right it would take me way too long so I will probably stick to shaving! That and I am a chicken for pain hehe :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never used one, I kind of thought that it might be what you said, shaving is just as easy! And what I like about shaving is that you don't have to have your leg hairs a certain length.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm such a lazy girl when it comes to hair removal and as I like my hair removing to be as quick and as painless as possible, I think it's fair to say that epilating is not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh no, well, I tried one years ago, and they've probably improved considerably since then, but it was way too painful for my wimpy threshhold. Good on you for giving it a go though Ingrid, and I hope the longer term benefits are super quick to manifest lol xxx

    ReplyDelete